While Kate did snow removal today, I pulled at least a little of my weight by making snowed-in breakfast. I generally like cooked cornmeal as a primary pancake ingredient. Kate typically does not, but today gave me carte blanche, so I decided it was time to tweak my recipe. I did, and she even liked it 🙂
– 1 cup coarse cornmeal
– 2 cups water
– 2 Tbsp sugar
– 1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour (could probably use white or ordinary whole wheat flour & get away with it)
– 1 Tbsp baking powder
– ½ tsp salt (ideally sea salt)
– 1 tsp nutmeg
– 1 cup milk
– 2 Tbsp canola oil (or melted butter)
– 2 eggs
– 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
– Oil or butter for frying pancakes
1) heat up 1 ½ cups water in a medium/small pot. In a bowl, mix ½ cup water with cornmeal and sugar and mix until not lumpy. When water boils, add cornmeal sludge and stir frequently over low heat for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
2) Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3) In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup beat the eggs with the other wet ingredients (milk/oil/ optional almond extract)
4) Mix those wet ingredients in with the flour mixture until well blended. Then add cornmeal mixture and blend well, making sure to get rid of lumps.
5) Fry up (and serve/top) as you would any pancake.